Thank you for taking the time to engage in this consultation. Your input provides valuable information to the City and will be presented to Council to help inform our 2020 financial planning process.
The City’s Operating Budget, which includes annual revenues and expenses required for day-to-day services to our citizens, is outlined below. The two pie graphs show where the 2019 operating revenues came from and where they are being spent.
The City of Coquitlam, like all B.C. municipalities, collects residential property taxes on behalf of the City as well as other regional and provincial authorities. The graph and descriptions below describe the distribution of your tax dollars, assuming an average change in your annual assessment.
The BC Assessment Authority provides your annual property tax assessment and explains the relationship between property assessments and property taxes on their website. Learn more about property tax.
To find out your personal breakdown of property tax and utility payments, please enter your property assessment value as found on your property tax bill or on your BC Assessment notice, or you can use the average Coquitlam property value of $1,071,500 to see the distribution for the average Coquitlam property owner.
You can find your 2019 property tax assessment value here.
On average, 69% of your tax bill goes to the City to support local municipal services in your community (the remaining 31% is distributed to other agencies as outlined below). Note: the focus of the Citizen Budget tool is on the municipal services offered by the City and not those of the other authorities mentioned below.
The graphs below detail the amount the Coquitlam property owner pays for municipal services.
As mentioned, on average, approximately 31% of your property tax bill is collected by the City on behalf of other agencies. These include: